Monday, August 2, 2010

Culture Shock?

Let's be honest, I'm lazy and don't like to write things.

Also, I'm afraid of using too much electricity in my house... but I FINALLY HAVE INTERNET ON MY COMPUTER!!!!

Anywho, I didn't realize what culture shock would really be. Of course there are obvious differences like eating hours (Lunch is the heavy meal and dinner is around 9/10), greetings (one "kiss" on the cheek), and the language that would obvious cause some stress, but I didn't think about the other things that would be different.

For example, when I'm walking down the street, I'm always saying "excuse me" and dodging everyone... now I'm not saying that everyone does that in the US, but people are a little more ... polite. Here, that does NOT happen... ever. and it's weird for me because I don't want people thinking that I'm a jerk just walking through people, but it's how it is.

People also don't say "Bless you;" I pride myself in saying "Bless you" to someone when they sneeze... maybe even as they are sneezing. No one here says "Salud."

The culture here is really laid back, I would say their quote would be "Why do today what you can put off to tomorrow." This is hard... I'm always being told "Tranquila," and no, I can't calm down... it's not part of my nature, I'm always nervous and freaking out. I would like to learn how to be "Tranquila," so we'll see.

The bus system... I think of it as a joke. theres no schedule... it comes when it comes, and it doesn't come when you want it to come. I immediately decided not to worry about the bus (or micro) system.

hmm... well i can't think of anything else to say... maybe i'll post later after i organize my thoughts more.

besos

No comments:

Post a Comment